About the masters program
The MA in Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies at WashU provides students with advanced training in issues of gender, sexuality, race/ethnicity, class, and disability. Whether you come from a gender and sexuality studies background already or are looking to supplement your work in another field with a gender and sexuality studies perspective, our program helps you explore the issues that matter to you. In addition to solidifying your ability to educate others in gender and sexuality issues and integrate intersectional approaches with varied social issues and work place challenges you may develop specializations in a subfield appropriate for your individual plans and goals.
An understanding of gender and sexuality is central to discussions of law, social work, public health, economic inequality, business, and human rights. This program will prepare you to have the breadth and specialized knowledge that is increasingly needed and looked for in the workplace. You will learn to think intersectionally -- to understand the ways in which multiple identities interact with structural, social, and cultural inequalities -- and to pursue interdisciplinaryapproaches to problems confronting the contemporary world.
The WGSS Program requires the following materials to be submitted with your application:
- 3 letters of recommendation, two from academic instructors, mentors, advisors
- Statement of purpose explaining why you are interested is pursuing a Master's of WGSS. This statement can address where your interested in the subject originated, how it developed over time, what you hope to do with your degree (further graduate study? enhance skills for work you are already doing? employment you are hoping to seek?)
- Writing sample of no more than 20 pages, preferably a piece of writing that the applicant thinks is an example of their best work (could be a previous course paper or an honors thesis chapter)
- CV or resumé listing your academic and employment history; volunteer work or extracurricular activities relevant to WGSS, and so on
- The application form will likely ask what kinds of WGSS courses you have taken in the past; if not, please list on your CV/resumé